Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy
The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy provides an opportunity for local chapters of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. to enrich and enhance the education that our young teens receive in public schools across the nation. A primary goal of the program is to prepare young females for full participation as leaders in the 21st Century. Delta Academy aim’s to shape well rounded young women by focusing on character development, healthy choices, and service learning for preteen and early teenage girls 11-14 years of age. Academy sessions are centered around math, science, technology and African American History.
Introduced to the Bloomington-Normal community in 2001, our focus has been the personal development of young ladies, with specific attention given to the areas of self-esteem, writing, mathematics, science, and technology.
Meeting monthly during the school year, guest speakers and volunteers present fun and educational activities through hands-on instruction. On occasion, the girls will participate in local community events that align with our program’s goals and objectives. Upon successful completion of the program, our participants are awarded with a special outing.
Co-sponsored with the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington-Normal, our Delta Academy participants have full access to the programs and services at the Club.
- Application Deadline – September 7, 2018
- Applicants will be notified by September 14, 2018
- Orientation – September 29, 2018
- Schedule for regular meetings: 4th Saturday of the Month (Sept. 2017- April 2018) from 9:00am-12: 00 p.m.; location Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington-Normal, 1615 Illinois Bloomington, IL 61704– a complete calendar with times will be distributed at the Orientation.
Membership into the Delta Academy program is held once a year. The following criteria will be used to determine eligibility:
- Entering or attending middle school/junior high in the fall (grades 5-8) and/or 11-14 years old
- Submit with Parental Signature the “Agreement to Participate”
Submit with Parental Signature the “Agreement to Participate”
Please feel free to contact the
Bloomington-Normal Alumnae Chapter Education Committee
Co-Chairs for more information.
We appreciate you taking time to apply for membership in our Delta Academy!