Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully
The mission of the DELTA G.E.M.S. (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) is to provide young ladies with a firm structural program that will enhance their self-esteem, academic achievement, leadership skills, and cultural awareness. This, in turn, will provide them with the opportunity to develop emotionally, socially, and intellectually and be prepared to take an active role in their success as they face the challenges of the world.
The goals and objectives of the DELTA GEMS Committee will be accomplished through a series of workshops and community service activities using the following framework:
- Scholarship (Academic Excellence)
- Sisterhood (Self Esteem, Health Awareness & Leadership)
- Showing Me the Money (Financial Awareness)
- Service (Social Responsibility Obtained through Community Service)
- Infinitely Complete (The Rites of Passage)
The DELTA GEMS logo is likened to a gemologist who can see, through the use of certain tools, the hidden treasure in unpolished jewels. DELTA GEMS uses the polished jewels as a symbol of the facets that shine and glow within our young African-American women.
- Schedule for regular meetings: 4th Saturday of the Month (Sept. 2017- April 2018) from 9:00am-12:00pm; a complete calendar with times will be distributed at the Orientation
Membership into the DELTA GEMS program is held once a year. The following criteria will be used to determine eligibility:
- Entering or attending high school in the fall (grades 9-12) and/or 14-18 years old
- Must have a grade point average of 2.5 or better
- Submit with Parental Signature the “Agreement to Participate”
Please feel free to contact the
Bloomington-Normal Alumnae Chapter Education Committee
Co-Chairs for more information.
We appreciate you taking time to apply for membership in our Delta G.E.M.S.!